Stroke is the leading cause of disability in adults and the third leading caouse of death for Americas today. When it comes to stroke, time lost is brain lost. Stroke afflicts someone in the US every 40-seconds which is why knowing the signs and risk level are so critical to [your] survival.
Stroke Warning Sings
Here are the warning signs of a stroke:
1. Weakness: sudden weakness or numbness in the face, arms, or legs on one side of the body.
2. Slurred Speech: Sudden trouble speaking or understanding conversation.
3. Blurred Vision: Sudden visual impairment in one or both eyes.
4. Dizziness: Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, or loss of balance or coordination.
5. Headache: Sudden severe headache with no known cause.
Stroke Risk Assessment
Controllable Risk Factors
Tobacco: You smoke, live or work with people who smoke
Cholesterol (HDL vs. LDL)
Total cholesterol is 240mg/dl or higher
HDL is less than 40mg/dl for men and less than 50mg/dl for woman
You don’t know your total cholesterol or HDL level
Blood pressue (BP)
BP is 140/90 or higher
You don’t know your BP
You get less than 30 minutes of physical activity per day
20 pounds overweight
You have diabetes or take medicine to control diabetes
Uncontrollable Risk Factors
Men over the age of 45 and Women over the age of 55
You are african-american
One of more siblings have had a stroke or heart-attack
You have coronay artery disease or have had a heart attack
You have had a stroke
You have an abnormal heartbeat